Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A little sin...

"Ah!" says Satan, "It is but a little sin--a little pride, a little worldliness, a little lust, etc. You may commit it without any danger to your soul. It is but a little one; you may commit it, and yet your soul shall live." Consider, that there is great danger, yes, many times most danger--in the smallest sins. "A little leaven leavens the whole lump" (1 Cor. 5:6). If the serpent sneaks in his head--he will draw in his whole body after him. Greater sins do sooner startle the soul, and awaken and rouse up the soul to repentance, than lesser sins do. Little sins often slide into the soul, and breed, and work secretly and indiscernibly in the soul, until they come to be so strong, as to trample upon the soul, and to cut the throat of the soul. Many are eternally killed and betrayed by the 'little sins', as they call them, that are nourished in their own bosoms.
A little hole in the ship, sinks it.
A small breach in a dyke, carries away all before it.
A little stab at the heart, kills a man.
A little sin, without a great deal of mercy, will damn a man!

I thought this was a great find!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great gem quote:


"Ah Lord! this mercy I humbly beg--that whatever You give me up to, You will not give me up to the ways of my own heart! If You will give me up to be afflicted, or tempted, or reproached--I will patiently sit down,
and say, It is the Lord, let Him do with me what seems good in His own eyes. Do anything with me, lay what burden You will upon me--but do not give me up to the ways of my own heart!"

Augustine says, "Deliver me, O Lord, from that evil
man--myself!"

Let Your will be done Lord and not ours.

Dana said...

Oh, sin is so deceptive... I hate it! God help us to hate it like You do!