Thursday, May 11, 2006

Get your bread!

My son has a business. It's selling bread. Actually it's "the bread bandit, serving manna from heaven." One day a week, I make him anout 12 loaves of bread and he goes around the neighborhood door to door and sells bread-raising his own money to go to camp. He also carries a two-way radio with him in case he needs to tell me anything. In the beginning it was like, "mom-I'm on her doorstep, she's going to get the money right now." I was like, " Jace, no need to call the get-away driver. Let me know when your down a few loaves". So now he'll call with, " 8 left, 5 left", etc... He has really built some great relationships with the neighbors around here and we have found (we started this last summer) that there are a lot of lonely people here in Lakeland. He has come home with some great stories (like the time he told me he had to give this person dressed in rags a free loaf) and has even made some regular customers. When we go out on bike rides it's not unheard of for someone to yell to him, "I love your bread," or if he sees them in the yard, "how was your bread?" It's pretty cool and he has made some friends and has almost reaches his $180.00 goal. I can't say though that this traveling salesman is always about his task. One day he made a friend and decided that he would really like to play rather than "git 'er done." He sold the bread unusually quickly that day and called me on my cell phone (mom was babysitting that day) and told me he was done and could he play with his newly found friend? I said not until I meet him and etc.. you know. Well, I got home and looked into his money bag and he had made 3 dollars. Mmmnn.....Jace? Well, Finally we got to the bottom of it and he had said that he decided that some neighbors told him that they would be fine if he would just place the bread in their mailboxes and they would pay him next time. Alright Wimpy but I don't think so. Well, he did go find a few of those loaves but since it is a federal offense to dig in someone else's mailbox we just had a consequence or two and called it a lesson learned. Kids-corrupt little sinners-do they really think...."I got this story air-tight."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes they do and so did we when we were like "yeah that's what I'll tell them what happened to the car...." or "where I was last night..." gosh unless the Lord is working wickedness is wreckless!!