Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Our first walk

Hey the walk was good. Worrying about Levi was right on. When we got there we went into the gathering area where all the residents were lined up and waited to hear our instructions. As we were waiting this resident was calling for help. Well, Levi heard her and off to the rescue! He went over to her and put his finger right in the middle of her large galsses and knocked on them about 6 times with the tip of his finger and said, "hey, you were yelling for help!" After she realized he was pretty much sitting in her wheelchair she asked him his name which he told her about 5 times to no avail. Finally she leaned towards him and in a friendly but rough voice said, "I can't hear and I can't see. " He looked very sadly at her and said, "ohhh." He then came over to me and said, "mom, her ears hurt." We then picked a man wearing a hawkeyes cap and went up to him and introduced ourselves. When we asked him his name he said what I thought was "guess." We guessed Bill. Believe it-it was-people were shouting out to him all over on our walk. He's like a celebrity there. He was a really nice but he couldn't talk really but he did with his hands and he could say a few words. A lot of "yes sirs, thank yous, mmnn, ahhs, ya, beep." Levi didn't care he played 20 questions and talked about everything he knew. Now and then I would point out some flowers and Bill would acknowledge them in his own way and Levi said (only once), "I already saw those, duh!" Bill kept patting him on the head and shoulder. Levi really seemed to like him and thought his wheelchair was cool because it had a tray for his lunch and a mirror on it. That way he could keep his eye on Cbass behind us in case she was gonna try anything funny. It was a good experience for the kids especially-I am looking forward to more visits!

5 comments:

Joey said...

sweet. it's been a while since my nursing home visit days. I'll have to reintroduce myself to one sometime. I think I'll make that visit contingent on whether or not I have kids....

kristi noser said...

You can bet that you are not the only people looking forward to your next visit. Way to go girls!

Dana said...

Stuff like this just makes me want to cry. Praise the Lord for your visits!

Anonymous said...

It would be difficult to deside who to watch Levi or the people at the nursing home.
He has a special gift of cheering someone up, doesn't he? Christ does his work in the least of the people.....

Anonymous said...

You know me, always looking for a way to go home early. How can I do that there?... I had a great time too, it reminded me of my grandma and I love that I can put a smile of their faces and make them feel loved. I think I'll get more enjoyment out of it than them.