Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Forgot to tell ya

When we were at the nursing home the other day and left Louie we got to bring Imojean back to her room. She could talk but very softly and it seemed like it took everything in her. We got to her room and Levi said, "mom, she wants to go in her chair." I said, "someone will be in to help you do that right?" She voiced, "yes", and nodded sweetly with a "thank you very much." Levi said bye and see ya next week. When we went out in the hall he looked back to her room and back to me and asked,"is she going to be alright in there?" I said, "yes, that's where she lives." He said, "why?" I said, "sometimes when you get older you need to live where someone can take care of you." He then asked, "why can't a lot of these people talk and hear?" I said. "when you get older sometimes you don't hear and talk as well as you did when you were younger." I said, "someday mom will get old and you might have to push me around in a wheelchair and take me for a walk." He said, "I can't, you're too big." I said, "when I'm older you'll be a big man." He looked at me sadly and held his hand out to mine like he wanted to hold it and walk down the hall with me. It was so sweet. It reminded me of that book "Love you forever" by Robert Munsch. If you don't have it pick it up and read it to your child! It's one for your library! Even though I knew by the end of the day he would be telling me, "you're not my best friend anymore," it was a precious moment.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I bought Love You Forever before I even had children of mine own!! Thanks for the sweet story. You can still be my best friend, Reegz. :)

Dana said...

stop with all these terk jerkers already! I can't handle anymore!!!

Anonymous said...

Talking about compassion, That young man is truly an example how we are to live.......