Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Back in the USA!


Have I ever told you how much I love the USA? Well let me tell you how wonderful we have it over here in case you don't know or may have never realized it! I just spent 12 days in Europe and it was quite a field trip. I think the first few days I had major culture shock and spent a while trying to figure out why anyone would want to live there but after I spent a few days I think I got over it. Don't get me wrong, I still don't want to live there and appreciate the USA much more than I did before I left. They may be simple things like free water, hot water immediately, giant rooms, lots of food, cars, chairs/hallways/furniture/beds-that I actually fit in, prices, parks, Dr's,......well the list could go on. I may not be used to city livin' either-who knows? We did see some awesome sights and eat some delicious delicasies as well. Some places we visited (not necessarily toured all) were, The Cliffs of Moher, The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower, Napoleans Arch, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Metropolitan Tabernacle, The Eye, Shakespeares Globe, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, Guiness Brewery, British Museum, and many other gigantic old buildings that were interesting. I'm not a history buff and was mostly excited about all the exercise I was getting as I picked up treats everywhere we walked to. I love french crepes and hot chocolate from France, and pizza anywhere over there. BUT, my absolute favorite thing about the entire trip was this French Bakery called PAUL! I first discovered it in London. It was like my hair stood on end when I was near it and people were gathered around it and I had to go there. I didn't even know what it was but I was sensing deliciousness! They had THE BEST croissants I have ever ate in my entire life! Everything in the window looked like heaven. I tried only a few things there but every one of them was incredible. I went on their website hoping I could order from there or that there was one somewhere in this state! DANG! They are only in Florida so far! Anyway, the food was great in france but the weather and peeps were cold! No Minnesota nice in that land at all! Not English friendly for tourism and I did not feel welcome at all. Enough said about that. London was cool and very friendly and fun and Dublin was primitive and the people really seemed to keep to themselves and didn't really make eye contact with you when you were walking around. I WILL say that a Guiness tastes delicious in Dublin and no good at home! I had to bring one back for a Guiness connoisseur to see if he agrees. I hope to post many pictures as soon as I get some from my hubbies computer and share many more stories with you! Until then I'll continue enjoying the land of the supersize!

2 comments:

kristi noser said...

Welcome home. I agree with the Guinness evaluation. I had never had one until I went Ireland, and loved it so much I bought some when we came home--kinda gross here, actually.
As far as that bakery goes, Florida you say? Can you say ROAD TRIP???
WOOT!

Dana said...

My french friend dropped in today and I asked if she knew Paul- her eyes glazed over as she talked about the baguettes. She loves it too!